Nature park Bergisches Land
Structure and composition
The nature park Bergisches Land celebrates its 50th anniversary in 2023.
It was founded in 1973 as a special-purpose association (public corporation).
The special-purpose association has the task of establishing and operating the association area as a nature park in accordance with § 27 of the Federal Nature Conservation Act.
According to this law, nature parks are areas to be uniformly developed and maintained, which
- are large-scale,
- are predominantly landscape conservation areas or nature reserves,
- are particularly suitable for recreation because of their landscape conditions
and in which sustainable tourism is aimed for,
- are designated for recreation according to the requirements of regional planning,
- serve the preservation, development or restoration of a landscape characterized by
diverse use and its diversity of species and biotopes and in which, to this end,
a permanently environmentally compatible land use is aimed at,
- are particularly suitable for promoting sustainable regional development,
- enable education for sustainable development.